RENEWED WITH THE SPIRIT - WWME

 

RENEWED WITH THE SPIRIT

“You be renewed in the spirit of your mind.” (Eph 4: 23)

 

Stephen Covey in his book The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Families emphasizes the importance of family renewal, which he calls “family-times” and “one-on-ones.” Family renewal involves a look at the total wellbeing of a family. He presents this diagram as a model for the renewal of the family. These activities can renew the spirit of the family living and bring better life.

 

 

Along with it let me also present to you three ways to renew the family taking inspiration from Holy Family. Firstly, family life devoid of problems is not imaginable but confronting these problems with mutual love and trust is possible. When Joseph became aware of Mary’s pregnancy, he was unwilling to expose her but decided to divorce her quietly. He did not want to expose Mary due to his love and trust for her and in her. Later, he accepted Mary when the angel explained God’s plan to him. So, the love and trust which was the stumbling block for the relationship becomes the source of relationship through faith in God and in his plan. Therefore, families can overcome the problems if they build up love and trust and seek God’s grace. We cannot seek God’s grace without love and trust. God’s grace can work only in love and trust. Hence, family renewal can begin only through love and trust.

 

Secondly, families fall victim to disintegration due to dearth of perseverance. There is growing vacuum in relationship among family member in the modern society. We have more people to talk, to suggest, and to advise in the family and we have no one to listen. Since, we are living in a world where we run and live like machines; we look for immediate results and try to breakup relationships immediately for simple and stupid reasons. Even children find difficult to obey their parents when they begin to mature in age and understanding. Hence, there is the need to renew our relationship through listening, obeying and accepting each other. We see in the holy family Christ staying with His parents for the entirety of His youth and was obedient to them (Luke 2:51). Christ, our Lord, renewed his family living with his obedience, acceptance and perseverance.

 

Thirdly, facing the situation as it comes and accepting the circumstance at hand is another major problem that families face. It does not mean that accepting the abusive and problematic situations and living our life without addressing it. Facing the circumstance at hand, as a family can be of a great help to renew its bond among its members. No individual family member should be allowed to face the situation at hand alone. Standing along with the family member, when one faces difficulties, renew the spirit of the family and bring unity. We could such a spirit in the Holy Family. Every time they faced the situation at hand (Joseph accepting Mary as his wife, finding child Jesus at the temple, journey to Egypt, etc.), each one was supporting the other and no one blamed the other. This is the secret of living together. Hence, Let us use these three ways and renew the spirit of living together as a family in the modern society.

 

My Experience with ME (Marriage Encounter Programme)

 

I would consider my encounter and my involvement with ME as a miracle. As an ordinary Salesian priest, I was doing my ministry of being with the young children and youth in various institutions. I came to know lots of their problems and difficulties. I also read and listened to some of the youngsters sharing about their family problems and breakups in the family. At that time, I was introduced to ME by Mr. Durairaj and Mrs. Alphonsa. I attended the weekend programmes at Coimbatore. This experience changed me. I started to listen to people. I realized, I was becoming a better listener. Then, I was slowly convinced that listening to people can solve lots of problems and can bring unity. Hence, I started committing myself to the weekend programmes. And my Salesian community was also supporting me and encouraging me to involve in this ministry. Later, along with the REC office bearers, I was also elected as a RET priest in-charge from Coimbatore unit. After my term as RET, I decided not to take up any responsibility but wanted to travel with ME as a priest who accompanies. But, due to insistence of my unit, I also filled the form for NET. During the National conference, my name also came up for NET. It was surprise for me. I never thought that I would be elected. When I was elected, I said to myself, God never calls the talented and intellectual whereas he forms the called ones through various means to become good servants of Him. I was humbled by this election. It helped me to understand my responsibility and grow as a Salesian priest. Each time, I participate in the marriage encounter programmes and meetings, I am inspirited by the couple who animate and organise. I am inspired by their commitment, example and enthusiasm. You all live out your vocation to family life and bear witness and become source of inspiration to many. Your contribution and commitment to build the universal church is adorable. Let us journey together to make more families to journey together.

 

 

+ Fr. Arulkumar

WWME- NET

கருத்துகள் இல்லை:

கருத்துரையிடுக

Fifty steps to a happy marriage life

 50 steps to a happy marriage life  Start each day with a kiss. *    Wear your wedding ring at all times. *    Date once a week. *    ...